Meldrum were the principal contractor for the conversion of this heritage building in Newcastle City Centre to student accommodation. We worked in collaboration with Vivian Robinson, Grant Jackson and Ali Robson from Newcastle University and our client Paul Thapar of Paul Thapar Developments in order to fully understand the complexities and workings of this building.
The Albion Building was completely refurbished and given a full fit-out including installation of en-suite bathrooms and kitchens. We also carried out works to the basement to incorporate more student accommodation.
- Fit-out of the empty shell of an existing three-storey building and half of the basement, to provide 8 flats and 8 studios
- The existing third floor was lowered to allow a new fourth floor to be incorporated into the loft space, and new dormers were added to the roof
- The building was complete with new partitions, doors, ceilings, finishes and fittings
- Full new M&E installations and a lift
- A minor amount of external works and drainage amendments were required