Meldrum were appointed to construct a new Lidl store at Bedlington at the former site of a local authority care home. The care home was demolished and the grounds remediated as part of the new build process.
The design was changed by Meldrum from Lidl’s usual design of a concrete frame to a steel frame with a lightweight blockwork solution. This enabled a significant reduction in build time and the 120-tonne structural frame was erected in just three weeks – which was of huge benefit to the client. The 8500m2 retail facility is very modern, and accommodates its own in-house bakery, baby changing facilities and stunning glazed frontage
- Full glass fronted façade maximises natural light
- Sensor controlled exterior sun blinds automatically operate to control the heat
- External drainage attenuation systems were installed
- Created 132 parking spaces and access routes to external delivery areas with dock levelling facilities for articulated vehicles
- Surrounding perimeter was maximised with retaining wall structures and innovative soil nailing techniques for bankside retention