In the role of Project Manager within the Civils Department you will be responsible to the Civils Department Head.
The key responsibilities for the role are to ensure the overall successful running of the project including:- production, commercial issues and health and safety. You will be responsible for all operations on a project from start to finish.
This will include, but is not limited to, the following duties:
- Ownership of project from start to finish
- Ensure site files are in place before we start and are correctly secured / completed
- Motivate the workforce –
- Provide information necessary to carry out the task
- Provide correct equipment and materials to carry out task
- Set goals / timelines for tasks to be completed
- Challenge any deviation from task / goal
- Provide clean & comfortable welfare conditions
- Provide a tidy site – set the standard
- Review and comply with the master program
- Direct management of site manager/supervisors to ensure they are focused on achieving MCS site goals i.e. programme, quality, health and safety etc
- Ensure all health and safety objectives and policies are read, understood and followed
- Ensure all site based paperwork is completed
- Liase with subcontractors to ensure that programme goals are achievable and are achieved. Plan phased visits with relevant contactor. Request and collate sub contactor RAMS,
- Carefully plan and programme all works in conjunction with the client & ensure the program is met
- Review plant hire on job to ensure all is required
- Ensure any additional works are agreed and signed for by the client
- Ensure project budget is compiled within 4 weeks of receiving an order and is understood and that the project is completed within budget
- Minimise costs of defects, minimise material wastage
- Ensure Weekly paperwork is complete (i.e.material returns, plant returns, sign off of timesheets etc)
- Review and sign off of holidays requests from subordinates
- Ensure MCS labour and plant is fully utilised across the project
- Plan and forecast future requirements i.e. procurement of additional subcontractors if required, recruit additional staff if required, advise on purchase of additional plant
- Ensure essential training is in place to ensure we have the correct skills to out the jobs
- Coach existing team members to identify individual strength and weaknesses to help them achieve their career goals and full potential
You will contribute to the overall running and continuous improvement of the business, along with development of the Civils Department, by ensuring that the highest professional standards are maintained to continually improve the service given to Clients. This includes:
- Ensure the highest standards are maintained to continually improve the service given to Clients.
- Inform your line manager immediately of any problems encountered and identify possible solutions.
- Ensure all of the company’s procedures are followed and adhered to and suggest opportunities to improve and develop them where appropriate.
- Avoid or minimise material waste and identify opportunities to reduce consumption.
- To carry out any duties which may be required to ensure a professional service is provided at all times.
- Encourage and develop team work both within your team and between teams.
You will be expected to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality at all times regarding the company and its Clients. You must also work efficiently and safely at all times in accordance with the appropriate training, the Company Safety Policy and HSE guidelines.
Your ability to relate well with Clients and Staff and to maintain high professional standards is very important, alongside your ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner both in writing and verbally. In doing so you must also ensure an appropriate standard of dress and personal appearance is maintained at all times.
You should demonstrate and use initiative to carry out work with minimal supervision, including the skills to prioritise and work to strict deadlines whilst being thorough and paying close attention to detail. This will be reinforced by demonstrating an enthusiastic, flexible and conscientious approach to work.
Once inducted, you should demonstrate a clear understanding of the Company’s structure, values and procedures, including the QEMS. In relation to this, you must advise your line manager immediately of any visits to site by external agencies such as the Health & Safety Executive, Environmental Health Officers etc.
The main duties listed above are not intended to be exhaustive and may be revised in accordance with the requirements of the department and the company.
In line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must either be eligible to live and work in the UK or must obtain permits to work in the UK prior to application. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process.
Meldrum is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. All applications will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
If you feel that you have the relevant experience to be successful in this position and would like to find out more please apply by sending a covering letter and a copy of your current CV.to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by post to the
Staff Development Manager
Meldrum Construction Services Ltd
Tyne and Wear