In the role of Site Engineer within the Civils Department you will be responsible to the Senior Engineer and will be responsible for Trainee Engineers, operatives and subcontractors.
The key responsibilities for the role are to ensure all setting our and technical issues are controlled and to assist and advise colleagues with regards to production issues.
This will include, but is not limited to, the following duties:
- Responsible for setting out all works in a consistent and understandable manner
- Ensure all employees are carrying out works as per drawings and specification
- Ensure Quality Procedure / Check sheets are completed for concrete works, drainage, paving tarmac etc
- Agree weekly measures with labour only subcontractors
- Ensure subcontractors are managed on site to enable them to work effectively, therefore ensuring that no additional costs are incurred
- Order materials (kerbs, drainage and channels, reinforcing steel, etc)
- Provide delivery dates and acceptable procurement time to enable materials to be purchased at the best price
- Liaise with Site Supervisor and Construction / Works Manager with regard labour and plant requirements to meet master programme
- In conjunction with Site Foreman, collate day works and site instructions to ensure agreements in principal of extra works being carried out on a weekly basis
- Ensure latest site drawings are available on site, are filed properly, superseded drawings are disposed of and a hard copy of the drawing register is maintained
- Assist in the compilation of Risk Assessments and Method Statements
- Technical queries including log
- Progress reports for client meetings in conjunction with the Works / Construction Manager
- Ensure site files and legal documentation is set up correctly
- Ensure concrete testing process is managed
- Compile O & M Manuals
- Assist in the compilation of monthly valuations, keep relevant records as and where required
- Liaise with the design team to ensure information is in place in advance of construction activities. Design clarifications and suggestions for easier / cost saving options
- Make suggestions on ways to improve how we operate
- Update construction phase Health and Safety plan
- Ensure completed works are agreed / signed for by the client
- Coach existing team members to help them achieve their career goal
You will contribute to the overall running and continuous improvement of the business, along with development of the Civils Department, by ensuring that the highest professional standards are maintained to continually improve the service given to Clients. This includes:
- Ensure the highest standards are maintained to continually improve the service given to Clients.
- Inform your line manager immediately of any problems encountered and identify possible solutions.
- Ensure all of the company’s procedures are followed and adhered to and suggest opportunities to improve and develop them where appropriate.
- Avoid or minimise material waste and identify opportunities to reduce consumption.
- To carry out any duties which may be required to ensure a professional service is provided at all times.
- Encourage and develop team work both within your team and between teams.
You will be expected to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality at all times regarding the company and its Clients. You must also work efficiently and safely at all times in accordance with the appropriate training, the Company Safety Policy and HSE guidelines.
Your ability to relate well with Clients and Staff and to maintain high professional standards is very important, alongside your ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner both in writing and verbally. In doing so you must also ensure an appropriate standard of dress and personal appearance is maintained at all times.
You should demonstrate and use initiative to carry out work with minimal supervision, including the skills to prioritise and work to strict deadlines whilst being thorough and paying close attention to detail. This will be reinforced by demonstrating an enthusiastic, flexible and conscientious approach to work.
Once inducted, you should demonstrate a clear understanding of the Company’s structure, values and procedures, including the QEMS. In relation to this, you must advise your line manager immediately of any visits to site by external agencies such as the Health & Safety Executive, Environmental Health Officers etc.
The main duties listed above are not intended to be exhaustive and may be revised in accordance with the requirements of the department and the company.
In line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must either be eligible to live and work in the UK or must obtain permits to work in the UK prior to application. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process.
Meldrum is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. All applications will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
If you feel that you have the relevant experience to be successful in this position and would like to find out more please apply by sending a covering letter and a copy of your current CV.to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by post to the
Staff Development Manager
Meldrum Construction Services Ltd
Tyne and Wear