The role of Design Manager within the Construction Department is key in the expansion and consolidation of the Department with a long-term view of offering a cradle-to-grave Design & Build service for our clients.
As Design Manager, you will be responsible to the Construction Department Manager and assist them in all aspects of management of the design of projects whether these are in-house designs or externally sourced.
This will include, but is not limited to, the following duties:
- Liaising with Clients and other Consultants and Professionals
- Working with Clients to ensure that their requirements are fulfilled and expectations met
- Liaising with the Bid Team on buildability/alternative methods
- Ensuring consultants have clearly defined scope of works and schedule of deliverables as contained within the QEMS
- Leading Project/Design Team Meetings
- Ensuring Consultants perform to agreed specifications & brief requirements, to the right quality and on programme. This includes making comments on Consultants’ drawings/specifications as appropriate
- Engaging in value engineering exercises as necessary and appropriate utilising the documentation available in the QEMS
- Ensuring information required for Planning and Building Regulations Applications is provided timeously by the Consultants
- Control and monitoring of design changes in line with the QEMS
- Maintaining thorough documentation of all processes in line with the QEMS
- Keeping up to date with changing legislation and codes of practice to ensure design compliance
- Ensuring the Consultants are provided with each other’s and subcontractors’ information timeously to allow full coordination of the Design
- Assisting in the production of Information Required Schedules pre-contact and in the construction phase
- Working alongside the Construction Department and internal Design Department, and contributing to the overall running of business, including assisting the other Departments.
You will contribute to the overall running and continuous improvement of the business, along with development of the Construction Department, by ensuring that the highest professional standards are maintained to continually improve the service given to Clients. This includes:
- Identifying problems and offering solutions.
- Ensuring the Company’s QEMS procedures are followed as they relate to Design Management, and offering suggestions as to their development and improvement
- Encouraging and developing teamwork both within your team and between teams, internally and externally.
You will be expected to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality at all times regarding the company and its Clients. You must also work efficiently and safely at all times in accordance with the appropriate training, the Company Safety Policy and HSE guidelines.
Your ability to relate well with Clients and Staff and to maintain high professional standards is very important, alongside your ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner both in writing and verbally. In doing so you must also ensure an appropriate standard of dress and personal appearance is maintained at all times.
You should demonstrate and use initiative to carry out work with minimal supervision, including the skills to prioritise and work to strict deadlines whilst being thorough and paying close attention to detail. This will be reinforced by demonstrating an enthusiastic, flexible and conscientious approach to work.
Once inducted, you should demonstrate a clear understanding of the Company’s structure, values and procedures, including the QEMS. In relation to this, you must advise your line manager immediately of any visits to site by external agencies such as the Health & Safety Executive, Environmental Health Officers etc.
The main duties listed above are not intended to be exhaustive and may be revised in accordance with the requirements of the department and the company