In the role of Groundworker within the Civils Department you will be responsible to the Civils Works Manager.
The key responsibilities for the role are to carry out various ground work activity to include production, quality, safety and client liaison. This will include, but is not limited to, the following duties:
- Complete site activities in conjunction with the site teams to deliver a high quality finish to specification, on time & to programme targets.
- Communicate with the site management and, as required, resolve minor issues.
- Store securely all plant as required on site, keeping clean and reporting any damage to the site management team.
- Ensure all verbal site instructions are recorded in a CVI / TQ book by the site manager/supervisor.
- Ensure that no verbal instruction is actioned or any variation work undertaken until your manager/supervisor has notified the office and written confirmation is recorded or received.
- Ensure weekly timesheet is completed, clearly stating work done, and submitted to Head Office or the management team for authorisation by 10:00am each Monday.
- Notify the manager/supervisor of any damage to existing services as soon as it becomes apparent.
- Ensure all site vehicles, plant, machines and equipment are kept in good, clean & safe condition, and only used if you are trained to operate the plant.
- Ensure that materials signed for on site are counted and the information is passed to the management team. Report any damage or shortfall in the order delivered.
- Assist the Construction / Works Manager to maintain all relevant Health & Safety on site
- Ensure the site area allocated for storage of site equipment is kept clean & free of unwanted hazards.
- Constantly checking workmanship to ensure no defective work.
- Ensure minimal wastage of materials (concrete/stone etc).
- Ensure own operatives and sub-contractors are abiding by the site rules, report to the manager/supervisor and breach in Health and safety.
- Receive deliveries of materials and ensure safe unloading and storage in an agreed location
- Ensure site is kept clean and tidy at all times.
- Ensure 5min RA in place before any excavations take place.
- Ensure all works carried out are to a good quality standard first time every time.
- Carry out near miss / don t walk by reporting.
- Dismiss poor quality labour (i.e. agency labour/ sub-contract labour not preforming).
- Assist the site manager/ supervisor in planning your work ( advise if materials are running low, requiremnts for work going forward).
- Set the standard.
- Plant operatives will be expected to carry out regular checks and apply oil and grease to the machines as required.
You will contribute to the overall running and continuous improvement of the business, along with development of the Civils Department, by ensuring that the highest professional standards are maintained to continually improve the service given to Clients. This includes:
- Identifying problems and offering solutions.
- Ensure the highest standards are continually maintained to improve the service given to clients
- Inform your line manager immediately of any problems encountered and identify possible solutions
- Ensure the company’s procedures are followed and adhered to and suggest opportunities to improve and develop them where appropriate
- Avoid or minimise material waste and identify opportunities to reduce consumption
- Encouraging and developing teamwork both within your team and between teams, internally and externally
- You should make yourself available for ongoing safety training applicable to your job.
You will be expected to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality at all times regarding the company and its Clients. You must also work efficiently and safely at all times in accordance with the appropriate training, the Company Safety Policy and HSE guidelines.
Your ability to relate well with Clients and Staff and to maintain high professional standards is very important, alongside your ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner both in writing and verbally. In doing so you must also ensure an appropriate standard of dress and personal appearance is maintained at all times.
You should demonstrate and use initiative to carry out work with minimal supervision, including the skills to prioritise and work to strict deadlines whilst being thorough and paying close attention to detail. This will be reinforced by demonstrating an enthusiastic, flexible and conscientious approach to work.
Once inducted, you should demonstrate a clear understanding of the Company’s structure, values and procedures. In relation to this, you must advise your line manager immediately of any visits to site by external agencies such as the Health & Safety Executive, Environmental Health Officers etc.
The main duties listed above are not intended to be exhaustive and may be revised in accordance with the requirements of the department and the company.
In line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must either be eligible to live and work in the UK or must obtain permits to work in the UK prior to application. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process.
Meldrum is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. All applications will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
If you feel that you have the relevant experience to be successful in this position and would like to find out more please apply by sending a covering letter and a copy of your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by post to the
Staff Development Manager
Meldrum Construction Services Ltd
Tyne and Wear