In the role of Plant and Transport Manager you will be responsible for the running of the Plant and Transport Department. In this role you will report to Director of Engineering.
This will include, but is not limited to, the following duties:
- Ensure all statutory operating licences are in place
- Ensure all cars / vans are maintained / serviced in line with agreements
- Ensure all cars / vans are tracked and transferred correctly between individuals.
- Liaise / negotiate with external suppliers to ensure we are getting value for all plant and transport external requirements i.e. paint shop / wagon servicing / hose repairs / haulage etc
- Ensure external plant hire is kept to a minimum. Review hire cost against buy options
- Ensure the fitters are working on priority plant
- Ensure all deliveries to sites are carried out economically
- Ensure plant registers are updated continuously to ensure we know the locations off all MCS equipment
- Ensure internal & external hire requests are actioned
- Ensure yard and garage areas are operating safely including formulation of RAMS and tool box talks.
- Control materials in and out of yard
- Maintain asset register
- Ensure fleet and plant is maintained in good working order and services / repaired regularly
- Maintain service and inspection records for all plant, lifting equipment & lifting accessories
- Maintain fleet mileage records
- Review tachograph and tracker records
- Organise & manage transportation of our own plant and materials.
- Liaise with local tips and aggregate suppliers and run allocate works to our tipper wagons
- Contribute to the formulation of budgets.
- Buying and selling plant.
Skills / Experience
- Understanding of transport regulations and ideally hold a CPC National Certificate.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience of working in a fast paced civil engineering / construction company
- Be flexible to meet the company needs
You will contribute to the overall running and continuous improvement of the business, along with development of the Department, by ensuring that the highest professional standards are maintained to continually improve the service given to Clients. This includes:
- Identifying problems and offering solutions.
- Ensuring the Company’s QEMS procedures are followed, and offering suggestions as to their development and improvement
- Encouraging and developing teamwork both within your team and between teams, internally and externally.
You will be expected to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality at all times regarding the company and its Clients. You must also work efficiently and safely at all times in accordance with the appropriate training, the Company Safety Policy and HSE guidelines.
Your ability to relate well with Clients and Staff and to maintain high professional standards is very important, alongside your ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner both in writing and verbally. In doing so you must also ensure an appropriate standard of dress and personal appearance is maintained at all times.
You should demonstrate and use initiative to carry out work with minimal supervision, including the skills to prioritise and work to strict deadlines whilst paying close attention to detail. This will be reinforced by demonstrating an enthusiastic, flexible and conscientious approach to work.
Once inducted, you should demonstrate a clear understanding of the Company’s structure, values and procedures, including the QEMS.
The main duties listed above are not intended to be exhaustive and may be revised in accordance with the requirements of the department and the company
In line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must either be eligible to live and work in the UK or must obtain permits to work in the UK prior to application. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process.
Meldrum is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. All applications will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
If you feel that you have the relevant experience to be successful in this position and would like to find out more please apply by sending a covering letter and a copy of your current CV to email@example.com