As Quantity Surveyor you will be responsible for the commercial management of civil engineering projects for internal and external clients. In this role you will be responsible to the Senior QS Civils Department.
This will include, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Ensure compliance with ISO 9001 procedures
- Managing costs on a wide variety of civils projects
- Undertaking costs value analysis including cost value reporting
- Performing risk and value management and cost control; identifying, analysing and developing responses to commercial risks;
- Advising on procurement strategy;
- Preparing tender and contract documents, including bills of quantities;
- Preparing and analysing costings for tenders;
- Procurement of subcontractors;
- Providing advice on contractual claims;
- Analysing outcomes and writing detailed progress reports;
- Valuing works as they progress and agreeing final accounts;
- Maintaining awareness of the different building contracts in current use;
- Understanding the implications of health and safety regulations.
- Managing and delegating to subordinates as required
- Compile programme based cost to complete / project budgets
- Price up variations and obtain agreement with clients
Projects valued up to £3m
Various forms or contract including JCT, NEC and bespoke sub-contract conditions
Groundworks of construction developments including bulk excavation, foundations, hard landscaping, roads and pavings
Medium civil engineering projects incl machine pits, sea defence, drainage
You will be expected to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality at all times regarding the company and its Clients. You must also work efficiently and safely at all times in accordance with the appropriate training, the Company Safety Policy and HSE guidelines.
Your ability to relate well with Clients and Staff and to maintain high professional standards is very important, alongside your ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner both in writing and verbally. In doing so you must also ensure an appropriate standard of dress and personal appearance is maintained at all times.
You should demonstrate and use initiative to carry out work with minimal supervision, including the skills to prioritise and work to strict deadlines whilst paying close attention to detail. This will be reinforced by demonstrating an enthusiastic, flexible and conscientious approach to work.
Once inducted, you should demonstrate a clear understanding of the Company’s structure, values and procedures, including the QEMS. In relation to this, you must advise your line manager immediately of any visits to site by external agencies such as the Health & Safety Executive, Environmental Health Officers etc.
The main duties listed above are not intended to be exhaustive and may be revised in accordance with the requirements of the department and the company
In line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must either be eligible to live and work in the UK or must obtain permits to work in the UK prior to application. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process.
Meldrum is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. All applications will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
If you feel that you have the relevant experience to be successful in this position and would like to find out more please apply by sending a covering letter and a copy of your current CV.to email@example.com
Or by post to the
Staff Development Manager
Meldrum Construction Services Ltd
Tyne and Wear