In the role of Civils Site Supervisor within the Civils Department you will be responsible to the Civils Works Manager.
The key responsibilities for the role are to carry out management and supervision of specific work packages contractors to include production, quality, safety, records and client liaison. This will include, but is not limited to, the following duties:
- Supervise site activities in conjunction with the site teams to deliver a high quality service to specification, time & cost targets.
- Communicate with the client and sub-contractors to inform and, as required, resolve minor issues.
- Provide timely accurate feedback to the Works / Construction Manager from the client and sub-contractors covering progress to date or any other major issues as they arise.
- Complete and store securely, all paperwork as required and in conjunction with the QEMS system including, but not limited to, Risk Assessments, Method Statements, rectification and Day-work sheets.
- Liaise with the Construction / Works Manager to ensure all drawings, schedules, information requirements or answers to queries are requested and received in sufficient time to avoid delay and disruption.
- Ensure all verbal site instructions are recorded in a CVI / TQ book, dated and signed by the client’s representative and that a copy is sent to the commercial team for further action.
- Ensure that no verbal instruction is actioned or any variation work undertaken until the office is notified and written confirmation is recorded or received.
- Ensure weekly paperwork is completed and submitted to Head Office or the administration team for authorisation by 10:00am each Monday
- Notify the office of any damage to existing services as soon as it becomes apparent.
- Ensure that only authorised overtime is instructed.
- Ensure all site vehicles, plant, machines and equipment are kept in good, clean & safe condition with an up to date service log.
- Ensure that materials booked into the Site Store are counted and the information is passed to the administration team for future call off.
- Assist the Construction / Works Manager to maintain all relevant Health & Safety records, registers, accident book etc.
- Ensure the site area allocated for storage of site equipment is kept clean & free of unwanted hazards.
- Constantly checking workmanship to ensure no defective work.
- Contribute ideas and knowledge to ensure smooth running of project.
- Complete the daily site diary in detail.
- Ensure minimal wastage of materials (concrete/stone etc) and maximize potential saving
- Ensure sub-contractors are able to gain access and are able to work effectively thus negating any potential uneconomical or standing time.
- Ensure own operatives and sub-contractors are abiding by the site rules.
- Receive deliveries of materials and ensure safe unloading and storage in an agreed location
- Ensure site is kept clean and tidy at all times.
- Order daily materials and plant requirements (stone/concrete etc) THINK AHEAD
- To complete site inductions / Tool box talks
- Assist in basic setting out
- Understand the programme and contract goals and help drive operatives to achieve these.
- Ensure completed works are agreed / signed for by the client.
- Ensue Site Files and documentation is set up correctly
- Ensure 5min RA in place before any excavations take place.
- Ensure all works carried out are to a good quality standard first time every time.
- Carry out near miss / don t walk by reporting.
- Enforce company policy regarding H&S.
- Enforce best practices – minimise waste etc.
- Set daily targets for the workforce – ask questions if not achieved
- Demonstrate zero tolerance on all waste
- Motivate the workforce –
- Provide information necessary to carry out the task
- Provide correct equipment and materials to carry out task
- Set goals / timelines for tasks to be completed
- Challenge any deviation from task / goal
- Provide clean & comfortable welfare conditions
- Provide a tidy site – set the standard
- Challenge workers for not working
- Dismiss poor quality labour
- Ensure accurate take offs – no over ordering
- Set the standard
You will contribute to the overall running and continuous improvement of the business, along with development of the Civils Department, by ensuring that the highest professional standards are maintained to continually improve the service given to Clients. This includes:
- Identifying problems and offering solutions.
- Ensuring the Company’s QEMS procedures are followed, and offering suggestions as to their development and improvement
- Ensure the highest standards are continually maintained to improve the service given to clients
- Inform your line manager immediately of any problems encountered and identify possible solutions
- Ensure the company’s procedures are followed and adhered to and suggest opportunities to improve and develop them where appropriate
- Avoid or minimise material waste and identify opportunities to reduce consumption
- Encouraging and developing teamwork both within your team and between teams, internally and externally
You will be expected to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality at all times regarding the company and its Clients. You must also work efficiently and safely at all times in accordance with the appropriate training, the Company Safety Policy and HSE guidelines.
Your ability to relate well with Clients and Staff and to maintain high professional standards is very important, alongside your ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner both in writing and verbally. In doing so you must also ensure an appropriate standard of dress and personal appearance is maintained at all times.
You should demonstrate and use initiative to carry out work with minimal supervision, including the skills to prioritise and work to strict deadlines whilst being thorough and paying close attention to detail. This will be reinforced by demonstrating an enthusiastic, flexible and conscientious approach to work.
Once inducted, you should demonstrate a clear understanding of the Company’s structure, values and procedures, including the QEMS. In relation to this, you must advise your line manager immediately of any visits to site by external agencies such as the Health & Safety Executive, Environmental Health Officers etc.
The main duties listed above are not intended to be exhaustive and may be revised in accordance with the requirements of the department and the company.
In line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must either be eligible to live and work in the UK or must obtain permits to work in the UK prior to application. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process.
Meldrum is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. All applications will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
If you feel that you have the relevant experience to be successful in this position and would like to find out more please apply by sending a covering letter and a copy of your current CV to email@example.com
Or by post to the
Staff Development Manager
Meldrum Construction Services Ltd
Tyne and Wear