The Tekla Draughtsperson will be responsible working alongside the Structural Design Manager, Technical Manager and Structures Department Manager. Also responsible for managing &, detailing of both Structural Steel and Secondary Steel projects from project tender to site installation and project completion. This consists of Producing GA’s – preliminary status to construction status, connecting of model in line with connection design and design codes. Produce Fabrication and Erection packages including drawings, lists, NC data to a high standard in line with company drawing office manual and company procedures.
The Tekla Draughtsperson will be responsible for the quality, accuracy and timely delivery of all engineering and detailing functions associated with any projects undertaken by the business to ensure contractual obligations are met and the products are manufactured in accordance with the customer’s expectations.
You may also be responsible for the day to day management of both the Trainee Tekla Draughtsperson. This includes workloads, targets and checking all work including your own.
In this role you will be responsible to the Structural Design Manager & Technical Manager
The role includes, but is not limited to, the following duties:
- Responsible for producing/ issuing GAs, RFIs, Drawing Issue Sheets (Preliminary Issue to Construction Issue to As Built Issue status for approvals and comments. These are to be issued to the Design or Contracts Manager for issuing to the client. The Tekla Draughtsperson may be required to issue the above directly to the client as part of the approval process.
- In agreed coordination with the Structural Design Manager you will be responsible for recording receipt of Project drawings via drawing received registers and saved correctly on the server ensuring the correct most up to date drawing revisions are always being used. This includes monitoring, uploading, and downloading on systems such as 4 projects etc.
- Responsible for reviewing and Issuing Full Fabrication Packages to Production Department in-line with company standards and procedures.
- Responsible to be detailing to relevant design codes, practices and building regulation requirements.
- Responsible for reviewing and Issuing Full Erection Packages including drawings, load lists and bolts lists.
- Develop the engineering function together with the training of all technical staff in line with the Business’ requirements and marketing strategy.
- Maintain and update engineering practices in accordance with latest industry practices, codes of practice and statutory requirements.
- Ensure all the necessary processes and systems are in place and maintained to enable the management of the technical processes from receipt of client order through to completion of installation.
- Monitor duties and activities of all engineering staff to ensure the expectations and requirements of the business are achieved and implement and manage disciplinary proceedings in accordance with the Company’s Disciplinary Policy.
- Represent the engineering function during meetings, whether internal or external.
- Support the project requirements in terms of assisting and supporting the management team technically, including the allocation and management of enough competent engineering resources to ensure contractual obligations are met.
- Attend internal tender reviews to support and advise the estimating department when pricing the engineering activities associated with any enquiry, including carrying out technical reviews of enquiry documentation and assisting in any value engineering activities. This includes the formulation of models and lists on Tekla for larger contracts for the estimating department to compile an accurate take off.
- Manage and monitor the department budget and project allowances to ensure that the commercial and financial expectations associated with the various engineering functions are realised. Improvements are to be proposed within monthly reports.
- Professionally represent the company at various forums, functions, and committees and conduct audience type presentations where necessary.
- Implement and regularly monitor the timely production of the engineering details and regularly maintain a departmental labour loading plan for regular management review.
- Ensure that the Company Policies for Health and Safety, Quality and Environment are implemented and where necessary have or obtain knowledge of various statutory requirements governing the works undertaken by the Company.
- Consult with Safety, Contracts and Construction Managers to ensure the maximum considerations are given to ensuring safe construction activities during the design of structure and connections and sequencing of construction.
- Consult with Safety, Transport and Workshop Managers to ensure the maximum considerations are given during design and detailing ensuring safe handling during fabrication, surface treatment and transportation.
- Through plan drawings ensure offices are laid out and maintained to ensure safety of staff and visitors for fire and evacuation regulations.
- Report on unsafe practices and always set a personal example
- Ensure compliance with any requirements of the Client’s construction phase Health and Safety Plan and CDM Regulations.
- Ensure you and your staff act in a safe manner and do not take or create unnecessary risks.
- Ensure design risk assessments are carried out to identify and control any hazards associated with the fabrication and installation are addressed accordingly.
- Ensure all designs undertaken by the Company follow the CDM Regulations and contract specific specification design codes and enable safe methods of work to be engaged.
- All in house and sub-contract design is to be subject to vetting, regular monitoring and approval, the Tekla Draughtsperson is responsible for the above. A percentage of all engineered connections (moments etc) issued by a sub-contract designer are to be passed to SCI for approval, each contract is to be subject to design approvals as noted above.
- To adhere to all company standard procedures including ISO9001.
- Any other duties determined by Company Directors considered within your capability for the good and benefit of the company.
The Tekla Draughtsperson / checker will contribute to the overall running and continuous improvement of the business, along with the development of the Technical Department, by ensuring that the highest professional standards are maintained to continually improve the service given to Clients.
You will be expected to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality at all times regarding the company and its Clients. You must also work efficiently and safely at all times in accordance with the appropriate training, the Company Safety Policy and HSE guidelines.
Your ability to relate well with Clients and Staff and to maintain high professional standards is very important, alongside your ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner both in writing and verbally. In doing so you must also ensure an appropriate standard of dress and personal appearance is maintained at all times.
You should demonstrate and use initiative to carry out work with minimal supervision, including the skills to prioritise and work to strict deadlines whilst being thorough and paying close attention to detail. This will be reinforced by demonstrating an enthusiastic, flexible and conscientious approach to work.
Once inducted, you should demonstrate a clear understanding of the Company’s structure, values and procedures, including the QEMS. In relation to this, you must advise your line manager immediately of any visits to site by external agencies such as the Health & Safety Executive, Environmental Health Officers etc.
The main duties listed above are not intended to be exhaustive and may be revised in accordance with the requirements of the department and the company.
In line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must either be eligible to live and work in the UK or must obtain permits to work in the UK prior to application. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process.
Meldrum is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. All applications will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
If you feel that you have the relevant experience to be successful in this position and would like to find out more please apply by sending a covering letter and a copy of your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by post to:
Meldrum Construction Services Group Ltd